Friday, October 19, 2007

CH 8 Moving To Texas.....Getting Back On The Road

The night after the moving truck was being replaced in Haugan, Montana we got up early in the morning to clean out the motel room and load our cars. I found some more spaces in the back of the truck and was able to load stuff I got from our SUV. It was very cold at 35 degrees. When I was loading the truck, the motel manager who helped me make the call to the UHAUL person the day before pestering him to have the truck replaced right away stopped by to check on me on her way to church and we talked for a few min. Afterward I went to the front desk to ask the clerk for the manager's name so I could send her a thank you card with the motel address when we arrived in Texas.
Richard's cousin Joy and her husband Dale came from Spokane, Washington to check on us and had a breakfast with us. They had moved back to Spokane from Alaska a couple of years before to be closer to Dale's family. We put our dog Kelly into the truck and our cat Pumba in a crate into our SUV before checking out the motel room. We embraced Joy and Dale and thanked them for coming. Finally, we got back on the road.
We stopped for lunch in Missoula. We decided to spend the night at Bozeman because we wanted to have enough time visiting with Richard's cousin Patty in Billings the next day before spending the night at the motel. Billings is Richard's birthplace four years before moving to Seattle and then Spokane.

2 comments:

Seek Geo said...

Hi Lisa!

Aww.. cute dog!! I had no idea the dog can drive! Oh.. that'd be so nice so I can sit back and relax while the dog does all the driving! ;-)

As a matter of fact, we just got home recently from picking up the rental truck (sorry not U-Haul because I can't stand them!), It's Budget, funny because we ordered for 10ft truck one way to Tri-Cities.

However when we got there, they said 10ft truck is having a leak problem right now so if we'd be ok getting 15ft truck instead at no additional charge? I'm like.. oh YESSSS! I wanted 15ft in the first place but it costs too much so we went for 10ft to move a little at one time and do the rest in Dec.

So, now that we have 15ft truck sitting in our driveway at 10ft cost and we are happy! We will move as much as we can that I do not need for next 2 months in this house.

Anyway, I wanted to say how sucked it is about the truck broken down. That's the main reason why I can't stand UHaul, they broke down on me twice and other incident was bad (long story).

I can imagine how much of hassle to move stuff from a broken down truck to a replacement truck. UGH!!!!!

If you even move or anyone plan to move, consider Budget, I have been using it in past 7 years moving a lot of times without a single problem.

Hugs
-SG

Lisa C. said...

Seek Geo,
Yeah, we would consider getting the truck from the different rental company like Budget. UHAUL didn't give us an additional charge for being three days late when we returned it at Plano, Texas since they found out about the problem online. The truck we rented was 26 feet long. Our pets were the good travelers. It would be nice if our dog had driven. We were very fortunated the UHAUL hired six people help unloading and loading the truck. Its their loss and our gain!
Glad you got a larger truck with no additional cost.