Friday, October 12, 2007

CH 6 Moving To Texas... UHAUL Truck Broke Down!

We were about 96 miles toward Missoula, Montana after leaving Coeur D'Alene, Idaho when the UHAUL moving truck broke down on the highway in Haugan ,Montana after the smoke was coming out of the front. It was five oclock in the evening. The truck was brand new at 16,000 miles when we picked it up the day before. I parked our Explorer in front of the truck on the shoulder of the highway. Richard tried starting it after stopping but it wasn't working so I ran aross the highway toward the tavern to get a help. I showed the note with an emergency phone number on an UHAUL folder to a very nice bartender who was about 60 or so years of age and she called the person explaining to him what had happened. She said that the repairman was coming from Missoula and it would be two hours. I thanked her and went back to the truck. Richard who wore shorts had changed into his jeans and sweatshirt when the air became colder. I was glad I threw his warm clothes into our SUV the day before. I forgot to turn off the emergency lights and the battery in our SUV went dead and I was cold. I played my Nintendo DS to kill time while Richard slept for a short time in the truck. I went into the truck to talk with him and noticed our dog Kelly being shaken so I took our cat Pumba in a crate and brought her into the truck. Kelly got up, sniffed at Pumba and started to calm down that surprised us. We used the towels to keep ourselves warm. I realized I didn't put some blankets into our SUV. The truck still smelled so bad from the smoke.
The repairman came after the bartender came to check on us and he tried to fix it but no luck. He went back to Missoula and forth with some extra tools and parts. He tried for an hour but its didn't start. He went to the gas station near the tavern and came back with some hot cocoa because we were freezing cold. He recharged the battery to get our SUV started.
After six hours of waiting with no luck, the repairmen took Richard and Kelly in his pick up to a new motel next to the tavern and I followed them in our SUV leaving the moving truck and our little car on a trailer behind on the shoulder of the highway. We checked in and went to bed after I went to a gas mart to get a bag of kitty litter to fill Pumba's litter box. We were disappointed to find out that there was no coverage on our pagers since the little town was on the top of the mountain. Then we zzzzzzzzz.
Pumba and Kelly sleeping in a motel room.

I will write more in next post.

No comments: