Friday, November 23, 2007

Its Black Friday! What Are You Gonna Do Today?

Good morning! What are you gonna do today as its Black Friday? Its 5:30 AM. Standing in a long line at the store parking lots waiting for the doors to open in the freezing cold weather with a cup of hot cocoa in your hands? If I find out that there are the Nintendo Wii video games advertized at $50.00 or 75.00 each, I would have gone to one of the stores at 4:30 AM to wait for the doors to be opened in my goose down coat, snowboard pants, boots and packs of hand warmers in my snowboard mittens and butt pants pockets (and cash of course with me for a quick payment without any worry) since its 37 degrees in Fort Worth, Texas where I live, brrrrrr. (Yes, I miss snowboarding on the snow covered mountains that's one of my favorite activities which I had done in the past when I lived in Washington state). So this morning of this year I'm staying home in my toasted warm house writing a new post in my blog and also free from the prison of online homework!
According to the Wikipedia, Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving in the United States, is historically one of the busiest retail shopping days of the year. Many consider it the "official" beginning to the holiday season. Most retailers will open very early and usually provide massive discounts on their products.
Although Black Friday is typically the busiest shopping day of the year in terms of customer traffic, it is not typically the day with the sales volume. That is usually either Christmas Eve, the last Sunday before Christmas.

It's interesting to watch some people in the early 1990's fighting over some popular stuff they wanted like some video games and some "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" the toy action figures which my two boys were collecting them when they were little. I had seen some empty shelves and racks where the popular stuff stood at some discount stores just fifteen minutes after the doors opened. They were always gone just minutes after people rampaged through the doors when they were opened.
One Thanksgiving day in 1999 when I lived in Washington state I noticed the Target store newspaper ad saying that they were giving away some free regular "Hot Wheels" die cast toy cars to up to 1000 first customers and I was a collector at this time. When I drove by the parking lot the next morning at 5AM, there was a looooong line of people outside the store thats not compared to a last year's longest, looooongest line in the world in New York City when people waited in line to buy some new Sony Playstation3 so instead I went to another store to buy some electroic stuff I wanted but found out they were all sold out, oh well. I returned to Target and I got into the last half of the line outside. When I got into the store, I was given with an unusual "Hot Wheels" neon red Ford Mustang Mach that was later valued at $35.00 according to the 2004 "Hot Wheels" Price Guide book Some collectors asked me if I wanted to trade my car with and I said" No, thanks". They looked disappointed. I still have it packed in a blister pack. I had never seen any more of this on the racks.
I would have gone to either Best Buy, Target or Circuit City at 5 AM on Black Friday and watch people in a long line rush into the store when the doors are open just like the horses with riders race down the steep hill called "Stampede & Suicide" Race that occurs annually in Washington State.

No comments: