Monday, March 10, 2008

Embarrassing Moment: Forgot To Turn Off My Car

I'm glad that my psychology exam I took this morning is over. I was unable to upload my video clip into my blog so I'm writing instead. Uploading one of my video clips into my Facebook was a success. I remembered what I had forgotten when I was reading Seek Geo and Diane's vlogs about their embarrassing moments. I had forgotten to turn off my car in the garage one late evening last Spring and I didn't hear it running because my hearing was not working this time.
I had forgotten to turn off our little car when my husband Dick and I got home one late evening , parked it in the garage that is attached to our house. The door for the garage entry is in the kitchen. We collected some bags of groceries and if I had my hearing aid on, I would have heard it running. So guess how long I left it running??? Over night!!! Augh!
I woke up the next morning with a very bad headache and tense muscle in my neck without knowing what was causing. When I got home from running, I finally was able to smell the gas odor and asked Dick why there was an odor in the house. I decided to check the garage to see if there was gas leaking from our car. When I got into the garage, it was soooo hot like an oven being heated and it was also very humid. I realized that I had forgotten to turn my car off , quickly turned it off and was very, very upset. Everything including our SUV was very hot to touch. Some candles in one of the boxes melted. I opened both of the doors open and told Dick about it. He said that he could not smell the gas odor even after going outside. We took our cars outside to cool off. There was one forth of gas left! We noticed that a small bottom part of the front bumper had been slightly warped from the heat. We were fortunate that we didn't die from the odor. We also were told by a close friend that we could be killed if we lighted the match. I have hoped none of our neighbor heard our car running in the garage because I would be embarrassed if they did. The bad headache and tense neck muscle I had lasted for three days. Dick could not smell anything since he was injured from the motorcycle accident. I told him that he needed a nasal implant ( with a "CI" hand sign on right side of my nose) to help him smell and he laughed out loud. I made and placed a new poster on the door to remind myself to turn off our car.

9 comments:

Lantana said...

That is terrible! Many deaf people have died because they neglected to turn their engines off. It is quite common in the deaf world.

I am glad you and Dick are okay!

Lantana

Lisa C. said...

Lantana,
Wow! That was a fast comment you sent to me just minutes after I published my post. I recently remembered the story about the deaf couple who died when leaving their car running in their garage. That was scary.

mishkazena said...

You were extremely lucky, Lisa C. You could have easily die from this. I am glad you are ok :)

drmzz said...

Whew, good thing you lived thru it! Scary. Yesterday, after shopping, I went into the wrong car! It was the same size and color of my car and I got in and immediately thought this isn't right. Saw some things and a cell phone in there and I got hell out of the car before the owner get upset finding me in his/her car. I drove off like a bat out of hell in my actual car! Guess our thoughts were too busy with something that is routine! LOL.

Lisa C. said...

Mishkazena,
Yes, we are lucky. Thanks.

drmzz,
Yeah, scary.
About you getting into a wrong car with a cell phone in it that didn't belong to you. LMBO! It's so funny. I'm glad the owner didn't see you so you wouldn't be arrested by the police! Still laughing.

Squ65 said...

Wow I am glad you and Dick are okay. Whew ..... Good thing you guys don't smoke!

Drmzz I had been there. I got into the wrong Jeep. I hopped into the passenger seat then I felt something is not right. I got out quickly! My sister and I laughed hysterically. Good thing the driver was nowhere but in the store and he/she must left her jeep unlocked!

Candy said...

Wow, not only were you lucky, you're also very lucky the car didn't catch on fire or blow its engine. I know someone who passed out in the car (was about to drive home after a party) but slept until being woke up from the Engine blowing up and catching on fire. He was ok, but his car wasn't and he was parked outside too. I imagine if he was parked in a garage, he'd have been a goner.

Deaf Pixie said...

I am GLAD that you are not into trouble with gas ordor and know how you will possible to die from that..

It is scary the part.. you are not alone.. my daughter's paternal grandparents are deaf and one day her birth father notice his mother have really strange headaches. His father say something then he passed out in kitchen.. Her birth father check garage and he rushed to turn off and garage door opening and fast and ran tot his next door. to call 911 dispatch because TTY would not answer if they called to 911.

Very next day or week later, His father had a ER for heart failure. It was not related to gas ordor.

Learn that Grandpa passed away 10 years later.. I told Lilly's birth father. How lucky four of you. Your brother was also with them. They glad he save all of his parents and one brother.. but other brothers and one sister were lives in WA and other state.

Darn it, Lilly did not able to meet Grandpa.. I think I should tell Lilly about Grandma.. she should see her.. They never met each other.. I think it is hard to know what is ahead of next the future.
They are from Great Falls,MT.

Deaf Pixie

Seek Geo said...

Hi Lisa!

OMG!! That is scary.. seriously! It could have killed you guys, I'm so glad it didn't happen. Whew! I heard such stories from my deaf friends that they forgot to turn off car once a while outside the apartment or house (the ones that has no garage.) But you left it running all night long in the garage.

Crazy! I bet now that u two look back and laugh about it, lmao.

Good story!!

Hugs

-SG